Turbine's Views on the use of Bots - a question

Anything related to MMOViper that doesn't fit in a better forum. All are welcome to participate. Also use this area for pre-sale members to ask questions.

Moderator: ScreamingEagle

caffrey75

Turbine's Views on the use of Bots - a question

#1 Post by caffrey75 »

I've been wandering around Trollshaws killing Crawlers for a trait and getting heartily sick to death of it, tbh. They're so widely and sparsely distributed! Anyway, I saw this site by chance and thought it would be a great idea.

I've just got a question (and sorry if it's been answered elsewhere) and that is: 'what's Turbine's view on bot-use?' I don't imagine it's a very favourable one since they largely go against the grain of an online community game and are very much frowned upon by other players, especially when used for grinding mats for cash etc.

For the moment I'd be using my bot for something totally innocent (and vastly boring to do yourself) like grinding these wretched Crawlers. However, if someone notices that I'm in autopilot or something like that and reports the character to the GMs then what am I looking at? Instant ban on account? That would be mortifying. Anyone know or have had prior experience with this?

trixxomania

#3 Post by trixxomania »

exmortem wrote:If you're caught you'll be banned for life.

Turbine made a game called Asheron's Call a long time ago, a bot was developed for it but at the time Turbine was reluctant to add it agaisnt their TOS since bots were fairly new, and they weren't swamping the market like they are now. Either way, everyone in Asheron's Call started botting and when over 50% of their community did it they realising they made a mistake not enforcing agaisnt it, and they ended up making it illegal.
no warnings :shock:

how safe is this bot then?

PitViper
Site Admin

#4 Post by PitViper »

Right now is is very safe. A good rule of thumb is never bot AFK. Most bannings occur from going away and letting it bot. Then if you get reported and a GM comes and talks to you, you are not there to answer back, etc.

trixxomania

#6 Post by trixxomania »

Okey i will think about it a few days, got a hunter that needs lvling and some gold :D

caffrey75

#7 Post by caffrey75 »

Thanks for the quick replies :) Nothing I didn't expect there to be honest. But, hell - I'm up for a bit of risk. I played the game to have fun not spend an entire afternoon grinding 240 of the same mob, 3 every ten minutes . I'll just have to make sure I'm around to babysit it. Here goes nothing *clicks Upgrade Button* :D

Return to “General Discussion Area”